[SEL] From Jennifer Brookover

Tim Christoff tchristoff at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 29 16:43:56 PDT 2006

Dear Friends: By now, most of you have learned of Teddy's unexpected death
last Tuesday. My sincerest thanks for the calls, cards, flowers and
donations that are flowing in. What strength they have been for me and his
family during these dark days. It has brought a smile for me knowing that
so many had been touched by his wonderful being, as I was.

As I'm trying to begin to put the pieces of my heart back together, with
the
one piece that will always be missing, forgive me for sending this email
that will be notification of his passing to many of you, in different
circles of friendship in our lives.

Some of you are life-long, long distance friends that probably haven't
heard and I'm sorry that I was not able to personally call you to share the
news. Teddy had been a brave trooper over the past 2 years, when a diabetic
foot ulcer put him in a wheelchair and during that time did have a big toe
amputated. We were determined he would get out of that chair and he would
be back in his workshop and target shooting at the range by the next season
change. In January-after 18 mths he went 2 weeks with no open wounds and
we were headed for water therapy to get his muscles recovered so he could
get out of the wheelchair and walk again. He developed a foot ulcer on his
right foot, which had never given us any problems. In July, the healing
started to deteriorate and it was found that he had a staff infection and
started home IV therapy. They did an agressive outpatient debriedment on
his foot and we were facing the possibility that he might loose the foot.
That was going to be quite difficult for us to accept, as he was still able
to get himself up and out of the wheelchair. He then started daily 2 hr
hyperbaric oxygen treatments for 20 days and we were wondering how he was
ever going to endure getting up and going everyday. But as always, we took
it one day at a time and did it together.

I was always with him at Dr. appts and at home--but his final day, he was
going to his 3rd treatment and his sister, Carol, not I, was going to take
him and pick him up from the hospital and he was determined that he and his
sister were going to pick up their conceal and carry permits that they had
applied for the week before. He left his treatment and went to the sheriffs
office with her and waited in the car. They were so happy doing this
together and she pulled from the parking lot, less than a minute later,
Teddy became short of breath and told her to return to the sherrifs. The
sherrifs--12 of them began trying to save his life. They kept giving him
breath until I arrived 55 minutes later at the hospital and I was with him
for the last breath they gave to him. He never knew his last breath and
would have been proud that law enforcement officers were trying to save
him.
They were fabulous, as they gently removed my 6ft 7' 420# husband, from the
front seat of my Crown Vic, which was no easy task. Teddy died with no
regrets. They believe it was a blood clot to the lung causing death.

He and I had shared a fabulous 22 years together and on the Sunday before,
talked that we would be leaving for Portland that day if we could still go
and thought about all of our Mo Kan friends, ATIS, SEL and personal friends
that were there. He so enjoyed visiting with any and all of you that would
call to talk about engines, guns or just to see how he was doing.

My deepest thanks to many of you that went out of your way to keep in
touch.
He always told me of every call, when I'd get home from work and his face
always lit up when someone needed his help. He was a extrodinary man and
I'm humbled that no wife was ever adored as much as I was. My devotion to
Teddy was representative of our love for one another and the last words I
heard, when I left for work that morning, was I love you. Be sure you say
it everyday to your special ones.

Many of you know that Donnie Miller, had been apprenticing with Teddy to
take over the ignitor and mag business. They were working wonderfully
together and Donnie was doing great work and intends to carry on. Teddy's
dad Calvin is still with us and his knowledge will help Donnie and I live
up
to Ted's promises on work orders. If you have something here at our home,
or an order, your patience is appreciated and give me a month or so to get
organized and I'll let you know the status. Of course, if you have
something pressing or would feel better about putting me on notice, send me
an email. I'll be using Ted's address. Ted was a man of his word, a
handshake and I will do the same with all of you.

Teddy's service was a wonderful tribute and shortly, I'll be sending out to
all of you the tribute I read to him at the service. My best friend
deserved for everyone to know from me that he touched so many. We all lost
a dear friend, sweet spirit and a helluva a great man on 8/22. His life had
been full because of all of you.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Jen

Ted Brookover