[SEL] Portland Update

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 13:31:27 PDT 2006

On 27/08/06, Leroy <oldengin at verizon.net> wrote:

> >Only common thing about the tyres is the name, my recommendation is do not
> >buy these tyres!!!!!!!!!
> One tire was a Firestone 500 of many years ago. two where cause they where
> over 6 years old?? one for no know reason, one (I think) was for low air
> pressure and this last was a tread separation, as we where leaving Portland
> the camper started with a vibration in the front end and I figured it would
> not make it home..   Leroy
> ps story had it that michilin had troubles years ago cause of the way they
> brass coated the steel ? you telling me this is not true? At that time I was
> working for Goodyear and we got lots of papers on the troubles michilin was
> having.

We have Michelin, Goodyear. Continental and all the regular makes over
here in the UK, plus a lot of tyres from the far east like Hankook and
others. Tyre failures are relatively rare over here, and are usually
confined to damage, under/over inflation or age related perishing of
the rubber compound.

I don't believe that Michelin are any better/worse than other makes,
and I seem to remember other US manufacturers in trouble over tyres in
the past. I tend to buy my tyres based on previous use/experience, our
van currently has Goodyear fitment which will be replaced with the
same next week. The trailer has Hankook (Taiwan/Korea) tyres fitted.

Was it Goodyear that got into problems with the Ford Explorer?
Probably a one-off, but most folks have their favourite horror
stories, regret that we haven't had any over the last million miles or
so, all our rubber has been uniformly good.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com