[SEL] RE: Removing calcification & scale

Orrin Iseminger oiseming at moscow.com
Mon Aug 7 11:27:28 PDT 2006

I've not seen any responses, yet, so will jump in with a
not-very-well-educated opinion.

I vaguely remember from my college freshman chemistry days that (some? all?)
highly concentrated acid(s) will react more slowly than it would somewhat
diluted.  (It has to do with the presence of free ions.)  As far as how much
to dilute it, your guess is as good as mine.

But, I have some experience with using phosphoric acid straight out of the
jug for rust removal.  The reaction is very vigorous, even on bare unrusted
iron.  IMHO, in order to give better control of the reaction, I'd dilute it.
You can experiment.  Dilute a very small quantity 4:1 and give it a try on a
test piece.  Adjust the concentration up or down based on your observation.

My tuppence.

Orrin

Orrin Iseminger
Colton, Washington, USA