[SEL] Removing calcification & scale

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Sat Aug 5 06:25:20 PDT 2006

Hi All you experts,
         The cylinder head water jacket of the Wolseley "R" I'm working on
has a pretty thick layer of scale in it and the only access is through the
1 1/2" outlet pipe hole and the water slots below the head.

         Is there an acid or something that I can soak it in to remove this
that will not do damage to the cast iron? Try not to mention "trade names"
as proprietary products available in your part of the world may not
necessarily be available here.

         What other ideas are there for doing this - I could probably boil
it in vinegar for some time as I know that this cleans the scale out of
kettles, taps (faucets) and shower roses but do not know how effective it
would be on 60 odd years of scale build up in a water jacket. The engine
comes from a part of South Africa that has what we call "brack" or "hard"
water - this is water that has a lot of minerals and salts in it and builds
up a layer of this scale in anything carrying the water (pipes and the like).

         I look forward to your answers.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
Tel. (016) 365-5787
Visit our website for old engines in South Africa.
www.oldengine.org/members/evans

---