Subject: [SEL] steam cable plowing

Ian Browning isandian at bigpond.net.au
Thu Aug 3 00:57:10 PDT 2006

Hi all,

20 years or so ago two identical Fowler ploughing engines were resident at the NSW Steam & Machinery Preservation Society's grounds at Menangle near Sydney. I do not know what became of them.

On a couple of occasions I witnessed them performing ploughing demonstrations, a very impressive operation. It was my understanding that ploughing from headlands in this manner was for the engines to remain on firm, well drained ground, whereas the ploughed field between them would often be very boggy, no place for a 20 ton engine! Apart from this reason, the engines also caused bad compaction, had poor turning radii etc, so were not used for direct ploughing.

In about 1961, I visited my parents property at the time their road was being upgraded from a track to a sealed road. A steam traction engine was being used to simply pull out the indigenous pine trees up to 15" diameter with no trouble at all. I did not take note of the type of engine, but it is the last time I observed one earning its keep.

Ian Browning
isandian at bigpond.net.au
Arcadia, NSW, Australia