[SEL] Nice Wheels/ cable plowing

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Tue Aug 1 08:11:53 PDT 2006

Tim,
Since the Ozzies didn't answer I'll take a stab at it. I was quite
fascinated by the steam traction cable plows we saw at Narracoorte. A
picture of one is here:
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/Australia2005/Australia2005%20247.jpg>
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/Australia2005/Australia2005%20252.jpg>

As it was explained to me it had nothing to do with speed, but rather
the desire to eliminate compaction of the soil by the heavy traction
engine. A pair of traction engines were spaced side by side the cable
lengths apart. They would yo-yo the plow back and forth between them,
alternating which engine advanced a plows width. They used toots on the
whistles to communicate the long distance between the engines in
foggy/dusty weather. Apparently the plow did move along at a pretty good
clip, as I heard stories of plows getting caught on buried roots and
stumps and the plow being launch considerable distance in the air.

Have been to several steam shows here in the states and, to date, have
yet to see a steam traction engine with a cable setup under the belly.
So it might have been done, but it was sure on small scale. In our early
culture of entrepreneurial / no government involvement, what farmer
could afford to buy 2 traction engines!? It would be interesting to know
the extent that government subsidies were involved in cable plowing in
Australia.

Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC