[SEL] Babbitt pouring question for an Alamo engine.

Jim and Diane jd.kirkes at verizon.net
Wed Apr 19 17:21:07 PDT 2006

Hi Curt,

Take a look at http://www.oldengine.org/members/billd/bearing.htm

Fake Shims: Temporary shims made of hardwood were used as all two piece
bearings were poured as a unit. The hardwood shim was .125 in thickness and
had four grooves cut on the surface that set against the crankshaft surface.
These grooves allowed the molten metal to flow into the lower bearing space.
The temporary wooden shims would be later replaced with metal shims when the
engine was reassembled.

It sounds like the babbitt was poured through the hole for the grease cup
and allowed to run through cut outs in the wood shims.  This would do top
and bottom in the same shot.  The wood shims are removed and the babbitt
connecting the two bearing halves is cut away so the upper bearing can be
removed.  This is my take on it, maybe some others can read it and see what
they think.  To bad there are not any pictures.

Jim

Jim and Diane Kirkes
Hemet, CA , U.S.A.
jd.kirkes at verizon.net