[SEL] Hypocrites - SEMI-OT

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Wed Apr 19 05:43:29 PDT 2006

Hi Bill,

You are absolutely correct.  Engine friendships are based on far more than
simply engines.  We discuss much at engine shows and other meetings and
from time to time post such topics to the lists as well.  It adds spice to
life and provides additional dimensions to those we come to know via their
posts.

BUT...  And it's a big BUT.  Like your momma told you when you were a kid.
"Son, when you're in that bar enjoying a beer, talk about anything, but
leave the politics and religion at home."

So it is with lists.  Unmoderated topic-oriented lists (such as this one)
operate by consensus.  When a given topic crosses the line (as when Slick
Willy was doing his thing in the oral office) or when folks begin to thump
their bibles, or when folks go off the deep end on the latest idiocy on
abortion or gun control, THAT is going beyond learning about a mate's new
truck or his newfound passion for antique pipe organs.  That's going OFF
TOPIC.  It's like letting a really stinky fart rip in an elevator.  Sure
you can do it, but let's face it, it's a damn rude thing to do.

And THAT is why Jim Dunmyer setup the Slick Willy list.  If someone feels
the NEED to rip one, step off the elevator.  Post it to Slick.  We have
great free-wheeling discussions over there (involving a great many of the
folks who post to the engine lists).  Nothing is sacred; any topic can be
discussed and usually is.  As I've said before, when you do post to Slick,
if your thinking is fuzzy; if your logic is illogical, someone will likely
hand you your head.  But hey, if you ranted stupidly in a bar to a
stranger, he'd likely put a beer bottle up your nose, so Slick is a
kinder, gentler place in that regard.

Now since I haven't seen any of these discussions over on Slick (YET),
maybe folks need the instructions again.  Political liberals & religious
zealots are ESPECIALLY welcome.  They have such fun, wacky ideas.  8-))

See below for the SIMPLE instructions for signing up for Slick.  I hope to
see you there and bring those discussions of religion, politics,
abortion, guns, liberals, creation "science", etc. (and please do NOT post
the above topics on the engine lists).

See ya,  Arnie

Arnie Fero
Pittsburgh, PA