[SEL] Decking for trailer

Tim Christoff tchristoff at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 18 19:54:40 PDT 2006

I've replaced 3 trailer decks with treated lumber and have never had a
problem with twisting nor have I ever bolted them down in the center.  Buy
the lumber in the fall and put it in your barn until spring.  Buy an extra
board when you do this.  It will dry out quite a bit during the winter and
then install it when the weather warms.  Once you have it in, set the
trailer out in the sun for a week or so, it's a good idea to place
something heavy in the center across all the lumber to keep it from moving.
After a week the stuff will shrink and you can rip the extra peice to fit
tight, place it in and keep it out of direct sunlight and you should not
have any problems.  After a month or so the sun won't cause it to move much
and your set.  If your set on putting bolts in the decking through to the
frame, one row through the center will do since the ends are held in place
by the channel frame.  2x8's will work better than 2x6's.  2x10's will be
very hard to work with getting them to bend into the frame channels.

Tim Christoff
Basehor Kansas