[SEL] Today at the Anson Engine museum.

Dave Croft dave.croft at ntlworld.com
Mon Apr 17 02:05:33 PDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Judge Tommy Turner" <lcjudge at scrtc.com>
To: "The SEL email discussion list" <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2006 2:37 AM
Subject: Re: [SEL] Today at the Anson Engine museum.

> Peter,
>    What is the set up on the Anson Museum?  I've heard different takes
> on how the museum is established and operated.  One was that its
> somewhat of a "Historical Association" with a board of directors, etc.
> Another person told me that it was more or less a private set up and in
> the control one or very few individuals.  I have no ideal and was just
> curious.  They certainly have some nice old iron there.
> Tommy Turner
> Magnolia, KY

Hi Tommy, This could be dangerous for you!  I first met Les Cawley about 30 years ago.
He lived on the site of an old coal mine on a hill & he had been collecting engines for all his life.
Not just a "Johhny Come Lately" like the rest of us. When I visited he took me out in the woods
& showed me Engines I had only dreamed of, just covered with tarpaulins amongst the trees.
He told me of his dreams of a stationary engine museum on the old coal mine site.
It was 20 years ago this summer that the foundations were dug for the first hall at the museum.
The museum opened to the public 17 years ago and over that time it has changed and developed
to be an award winning attraction in Cheshire.
Les died 3 years ago & left the museum to Geoff Challinor who had been Les's close friend &
helper for many years.
I do not know the full financial situation but it is obvious to all the people who help the museum
that it isn't being done as a profit making enterprise.
Why did I say this could be dangerous for you?
Because your collection reminds me of Les's all those years ago & look what happened when Les retired.
Dave Croft
Warrington
http://oldengine.org/members/croft/homepage
http://community.webshots.com/user/crftdv