[SEL] Re: IHC mag/distributor question.

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Tue Apr 11 09:09:37 PDT 2006

Rob,
Gotta disagree with you mate. For years I did TV and radio
troubleshooting for profit and a analog meter will do a pretty decent
job of testing caps. You can't do it with a digital meter (hence one of
several reasons I don't own one) but with a good old fashioned analog
meter you can see what is happening.
Put your meter on the highest kOhm setting, 10k or 100k. Hook your leads
up to the cap using no fingers (use roach clips), it should read
infinite resistance. Now reverse the leads. You should see a momentary
blip of the needle with a slow return to infinity. The higher the mF of
the cap the slower the return (reverse charging). While this is no way
to determine the actual capacitance, it IS an excellent measure of
voltage storing function, and an excellent insulator leak test in low
voltage application. Since it is doubful that the actual surface area of
conductors has changed without either opening entirely or shorting
entirely, it is a good diagnostics tool that tells you where you need to
look next.
Curt