[SEL] Re: IHC mag/distributor question.

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Tue Apr 11 05:52:08 PDT 2006

Kim, Mike, Greg, Rob, Jim, Ben, Craig, (hope I didn't miss anyone),
Thanks for the great suggestions. Took thinks apart last night and check
the capacitor with a VOM and it checked good. Cleaned the points with
lacquer thinner and then polished with crocus cloth until very bright.
Did not alter the points gap (BTW what is the correct gap? Looks to be
about .015)
I suspect the owner of the mag had removed the rotor cap and gotten it
out of time. I found what I think are two marks on the small metal gear
and the rotor button. I lined them facing each other. The fellow didn't
bring the cap so I couldn't check the rotor button timing. I rigged up a
small piece of wire off the HT cap and spinning c'clockwise can make a
blue arc that will light you up :-)
I tried to rotate it clockwise against the spring, but just don't have
the strength to carry it all the way thru. So it will go back on the
tractor this evening to see if it is working.
Thanks again guys.
Curt