[SEL] My first engine

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Thu Apr 6 15:40:38 PDT 2006

I've got a friend with one of those--nice little engine.

Here are some of my thoughts and experience with running stuff with engines.

It should "play" with a 2 hole sheller. Don't know about the big shellers
that you fed with a shovel--probably underpowered for that--then again
shelling corn by the shovel full is more work than play.

As for grinders---Depends on how you want to run it. Most engines at shows
hooked to grinders are just playing. I have a friend with a 7hp economy
hooked to a Kelly Duplex mill and it knows its hooked to it if you feed it
heavy but for the most part it is just having fun. You should be able to
handle a grinder OK.

 As for grist mills with stone burrs, they typically take a lot of power to
feed them heavy and grind fine enough to produce meal. I think ours has
about 20 inch stones. We pull it with a 6 cylinder IHC power unit. We don't
mess around--takes 2 guys to tend it if you are bagging up the meal in paper
sacks for friends.The largest run we ever did was about 300lbs. The proper
way, so I was told by a miller, to grind like this is to keep the meal
temperature down to where it is just hot enough that you don't want to hold
it in your hand very long. This results in running the mill fairly slow, so
you just don't get to open up the engine and take advantage of all those
horses.

John Hall