[SEL] OT Looking for someone who knows about uranium 235 Arnie, Dave ??

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Thu Apr 6 07:31:31 PDT 2006

Hi Ron,

Folks tend to forget where uranium comes from in the first place; out of
the ground.  In fact, Eastern PA has some incredibly high natural
concentrations of uranium.  Look into the Reading Prong in Google.

Uranium and it's decay products are everywhere; we live in a naturally
radioactive world.  In fact, there's as much published research that shows
the human organism NEEDS low level radiation exposure as there is data
that shows high levels are dangerous.

The bottom line is that once radioactive material has been "technically"
removed from its natural location in the ground, it falls under US Nuclear
Regulatory Commission oversight.  This includes the rock mined to extract
uranium (referred to as tailings), the rock mined to extract potassium
for fertilizer (also tailings), and the scale that builds up inside the
pipe casing used to drill for and pump oil.  All of it is
naturally radioactive and all of it is controlled and all of it may be
safely disposed of in landfills.

The problem that you run into is anti-nuke and media fostered public
hysteria.  But that's a different issue.  Folks have agendas that have
nothing whatsoever to do with their stated "concerns".

If you want to be concerned about something, worry about all of the toxic
materials that go into the landfill that are NOT regulated or controlled
in any way.  Or if the thought of uranium roaming free in the environment
makes you twitchy, look to your friendly local coal fired power plants.
There's far more uranium going up the stack into your personal environment
than will ever come out of that landfill.

See ya,  Arnie

Arnie Fero
Pittsburgh, PA
fero-ah at city-net.com