[SEL] RE: Best method for cleaning engine crud?

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 5 05:49:14 PDT 2006

>Message: 13
>Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 18:03:33 -0400
>From: John Culp <johnculp at chartertn.net>
>Subject: Re: [SEL] Best method for cleaning engine crud?
>To: The SEL email discussion list <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
>Cc: Old Engine <stationary-engine at oldengine.org>
>
>Oven cleaner works, but it can markedly change the color of remaining
>paint and will strip it right off if it's not too sound.
>
>Castrol Super Clean or its clone Purple Power aren't quite as harsh,
>but work well on greasy grime.
>
>John Culp
>Bristol, Tennessee, USA
By the pictures I would bet that you already have it cleaner than the
factory did when they painted it the first time.  You can probably give it
the linseed oil treatment now.  This is a good application for a steam Jenny
as it simply uses hot water to melt the old grease away.  If you don't have
a steamer I also like the puple stuff that John talks about.  The puple
stuff is water based so it rinses with water ready to paint.  Mineral
spirits will work good for this job to because it is a very goo cleaning
solvent and dries dry to the touch.  I wouldn't put paint over a mineral
spirit cleaned surface without further degreasing but it should be fine for
linseed oil.  See ya at the SIAM show June 9, 10, & 11