[SEL] Knapman Marine Engine

blufire blufire at runbox.com
Mon Apr 3 23:59:30 PDT 2006

Hi everyone.

Still here but been quiet.
I went to the local scrapyard Friday and on the mound was a marine engine. Had a bit of a look and kicked it on it's side and saw the last part of it's name which was "man". Thought it was a Chapman engine and all the one's I've seen need to be bolted to 1/2 a ton of concrete to stop them jumping all over the place so walked away to look at a Fordson tractor back end. On the way back I thought if it turned over I would save it and hand it on to someone else. It did and then I saw the name KNAPMAN cast into the cylinder. So $18 later it was on the Dodge. At home had a look in the water jacket and saw new cast iron, looked up the exhaust port and saw hone marks, unscrewed the remains of the sparkplug and looked on top of the piston and saw new cast iron.

Turns out the engine has never been run!. Aren't people wasteful?.

Pictures at Webshots
http://community.webshots.com/user/pavys

Couldn't find the manifold but looking at the rust on the studs and mating face don't reckon it ever had one.

Anyone have any info on this engine?.

Thanks

Mark Pavy
Queenstown South Australia