[SEL] Cotton is in the fields!

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Fri Sep 30 13:15:12 PDT 2005

I work in a non-metropolitan area that sits in the middle of farmer's
fields. They generally rotate the crops between soy beans and cotton.
This year happens to be cotton and it is a good year. After seeing
several tourists stopping at the fields edge this week, it dawned on me
that perhaps our friends to the north and in cooler climates might not
have seen cotton growing in the fields. So a few minutes ago I went out
front and snapped a few pictures.
This first one is just outside the front door of the plant.
http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/Cotton/P9300044.jpg

Here is a little closer view. The picture doesn't do it justice as it is
so white it looks like fresh snow.
http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/Cotton/P9300045.jpg

In this view you can see the rows. When cotton plants are growing
(before budding) they are deep green and have very heavy foliage. I
struggle to tell the difference between cotton and soy beans when the
plants are young. Once the bolles begin to pop, the farmer sprays a
defoliating agent on the plants to make the leaves fall off. You would
think this would kill the plant, but the plant continues to thrive and
this makes the yield of cotton much better as the nutrients go to making
cotton rather than foliage.
http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/Cotton/P9300049.jpg

In this close up view you can see very few leaves remain yet the bolles
grow larger every day now. Cotton has been genetically engineered to
grow in the worst drought conditions. This cotton has not seen rain in 8
weeks now, yet is is as healthy as if the fields were wet. Truly remarkable!
http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/Cotton/P9300047.jpg

In this last view you see a close up of the cotton that has popped from
its' boll and is swelling as it grows.
http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/Cotton/P9300046.jpg

It won't be long before the cotton pickers will come along and do their
thing. The best machines use rubber rollers to pull the cotton from the
boll. When done it looks like there is a lot of cotton left, but in
reality they get a lot of it. Later I'll try and get a picture of it
picked....

Hope you enjoyed these.
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC
Cotton Ginning Days Oct 14, 15 and 16th.