[SEL] A Challenge for the Lists !!

Kerry ozengine at optusnet.com.au
Thu Sep 22 23:36:39 PDT 2005

G'Day Jerry

Adam sumes it up well,
As your first option finding a Oz company to ship with to SA would be a
challenge and one thats willing to get involved with all the extra paper
work both ends would be next to impossible.
I would suggest if you want to continue this way, contact the Australian
Embassy in SA (trade department) to find out what Oz companies export to SA
then contact them.

The probable way is to contact shipping agents your end to see what shipping
agents they use this end, we can then get costs by both agents.
Shipping by sea is by size only and the shipping agents will mix containers
to fill them, this works out cheaper.
Paper work is the key (well into Oz anyway) not right you end up with large
delays and costs, A friend imported an engine into OZ and customs had a
problem that delayed its release for months which resulted in him paying the
Oz handlers more than the engine was worth in storage costs.

Another thing you need to find out is about wooden crates into SA, I think
most of the world now has a standard agreement which usually requires
fumigation, I was warned when I imported the Reid by my shipping agent that
fumigation in the US would be cheaper and faster than waiting till it got
here ($200 US). one you get a shipping agent ask them about wooden crates
into SA.

Not all N's had cast iron hoppers, I have 4 and only one hopper

Kerry Morris

Lithgow NSW Oz

PS.   4.30pm - checking time to appear on SEL the last few posts were over
30 hours ??