[SEL] Semi-OT: Engine valve alloys

John Culp johnculp at chartertn.net
Sat Sep 24 19:56:48 PDT 2005

> Hi Richard,
>         If you think anything in that article has anything to do with
> antique stationary engines please contact me off List--I have a bridge
> for sale in which you may be interested!
>         Dave

Nevertheless it's interesting stuff. If the old engine builders had had
modern valve metallurgy available to them, they'd've taken advantage of
it.

That article's got a factual error about lead oxide corroding exhaust
valves. It's the ethylene dibromide and dichloride scavenging compounds
mixed in leaded gasoline to get the lead out of the engine. The
halogens released when they burn form a low-melting-point mixture of
lead salts instead of hard lead oxide, and that's what makes the
familiar whitish tailpipe deposit in a clean-burning engine running on
leaded gas. Some of those halogens will combine with the steel instead
of the lead, though.

John Culp
Bristol, Tennessee, USA