[SEL] semi - ot lock washer questions for engineers

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Fri Sep 23 21:27:21 PDT 2005

> I could try and dig up the washer info if you like. For now
> I'm prepared with Nomex suit on :-)

No need for Nomex, Curt.  You've been the source of much amusement when I tell
people of my friend who puts square nuts on upside down  :-)

If you break out your Machinery's Handbook, you'll see that proper practice is
to bevel the underside of a nut.  So a flat-bottomed nut is really just shoddy
engineering.

Another friend dragged home a Hercules saw rig similar to yours.  Upon examining
it, I found that some of the square nuts were indeed installed your way -- but
not all.

Personally, I use 'em the standard way.  But I can also respect your method, as
it provides more accurate clamping.  But the Hercules way, using both methods,
indicates that the trained monkey was not thinking, didn't consider the task at
hand, and had no idea what he was doing.  THAT is what makes no sense.

Rob