[SEL] semi - ot lock washer questions for engineers

kgw gwaugh at wowway.com
Fri Sep 23 12:34:32 PDT 2005

I was not around for the previous episode, but there IS some interesting
stuff here---and I am trying to keep my mind off my little brother down
in Morgan City today!!

How many lock washers have you seen used for serious aps, such as head
bolts??  Very few.  This goes right along with Curt's statement "...they
really are not needed for properly sized and torqued bolted connections.
Hardened flat washers in conjunction with correct nuts and proper
preload is as good as it gets."

Hmmm....  And I CAN see how the square nuts might not pull down
snugly----but if turned over, they would pull down much easier.

Helen---Methinks Curt might need some quick advice & help here....

Gene
Elgin, Illinois USA