[SEL] Another engine runs!

Ed Herreid bigtime64 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 22 07:50:43 PDT 2005

Just a note to let you guys know that another engine joined the ranks of the
runners.  I bought the Taylor vacuum engine at the Baraboo swap about a year
and a half ago.  It was well rested and covered with about an inch of barn
dust ,crud, oil and straw.  |I had not touched it until the couple weeks
before Portland.  I cleaned it up and found a lot of original paint and
original decals under all the crud.  I cleaned up and dressed the valves and
brought it as a sorta non runner to Portland.  It would sputter and pop but
not run.  I did not spend much time messing with it as there is so many
other things to do and we ran the other two engines when we were around
camp.

This past weekend I took it along to our club show and spent some time
adjusting the timing and exhaust valve per the instruction manual I printed
from Denis Rouleaus page.  Cranked it for a while and it took off running.
Very poorly but it was running.  More mixer adjustments and some more
tweaking and it ran long enough to warm up everything.  Kept fiddling around
and got it to run but still not as good as it should when the club member
across the aisle from me came over and gave me the same advise Jim French
gave me at Portland.  He said you gotta have a vacuum valve on that engine
if you want it to run good.  My reply was that I didnt get one with the
engine and I dont know where to get one.  He said I will bring you one
tomorrow.

Sunday morning when I arrive there was a crusty box of parts laying by the
engine when I arrived.  He took the valve off his engine and brought it to
try out.  Sure enough, with the valve mounted up and a load on the engine
she runs much better.  It ran good until it blew the ignition plate gasket
and we had to quit running it. The bad news is I have to return his valve.
So my challenge is to find a vacuum valve or make something to simulate the
original valve.  Anyone seen anything like that for sale or fabricated
something similar?  You can see photos of one on Ricks taylor vacuum page
here: http://www.oldengine.org/members/inzero/  Seems like I am not alone in
the search of the valves.  Maybe it would be a good item to have recast.

Anyway it is good to bring another one to life after a long rest in the
barn.

Ed Herreid
Trevor WI

BTW:  Thanks for the excellent web page Rick.  I have been following your
progress on your engine in my absence of progress.