[SEL] stationary-engine -- 10th Anniversary 19 September

fero_ah at city-net.com fero_ah at city-net.com
Sun Sep 18 08:30:12 PDT 2005

Damn, let the GOOD TIMES ROLL!!

I had spent several years going to auctions and being outbid on old stationary
engines.  Then at one auction, I saw Gas Engine Magazine bundled up as one of
the lots to be auctioned off.  I copied down the subscription info, and as soon
as I got home, fired off a check.  And what was the first issue to arrive?
Yep, June 1997!!  About 30 minutes after opening that issue I had signed onto
the SEL.

After a few days of reading the posts to get a feel for the flavor of
the list, I posted a request for advice on getting a "first engine."  Shortly
thereafter I got an off-list post from this Dave Rotigel guy who noticed that I
lived in "Pittsburgh" and wanted to know if I would like to stop out to see his
engines and visit.  A phone call later to get directions and I was off to
Dave's place.  He welcomed me to his home, offered me a beer, and fired up a
whole bunch of engines.  I got to meet the family and got to learn a whole lot
about old engines.

Not too long after that I got my first engine (1-1/2 hp IHC "M") and at an
auction (where I had deer in the headlights syndrome) my second
engine (3-1/2 hp United).  Then came the involvement with the Tod Engine
Wrecking Crew where I met Rick Rowlands, Matt Picaro, Craig Prucha, Rick Monk,
etc.  From Matt I bought my third engine (3 hp Novo "S") after which I went to
my first engine show at Coolspring (with the Novo) where several amazing things
happened.

I got to meet Charlie Bryant and learn about the importance of goat
sacrifices to engine happiness, I met Rob & Kelley and learned that diverse
interests are the norm in this group (OK, maybe Rob & Kelley have MORE
interests than most folks...  he brewing and rockclimbing, she paintball and
painting), learned that a gal can be both gorgeous AND engine savvy (yeah,
Kelley again), I got to see Matt Picaro with his infamous Love Ewes, and I
acquired the infamous nickname "Novo Boy."

After that came road trips to Portland that involved meeting Jim & Dolly French,
Steve & Mel Webre, Peter and Kaye Lowe, and REG, and many others, and learning
that a Ford truck runs just fine down the Interstate at 70 mph on the left
front brake disk when the wheel falls off, etc., etc.

Damn, let the GOOD TIMES ROLL!!  They just keep getting better and better!!
And it all started with Brice's goofy idea to create the Stationary Engine List.
 Talk about your "life changing events."  THANKS again Brice!!!!

See ya,  Arnie

Arnie Fero
Pittsburgh, PA
fero_ah at city-net.com