[SEL] Fuels, Octane, etc.

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Thu Sep 15 08:30:06 PDT 2005

To supplement yesterdays discussion on fuels I was luck enough to find a
chemical book that offers a very nice explanation of the role of
iso-octane in the prevention of knocking in an engine. It tells of the
octane rating and how the scale was derived using Iso-octane and
n-heptane as the extremes. There is also an explanation of tetra ethyl
lead and even how it is made.

I have scanned the pages and here are the links:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/fuels/octane1.pdf
http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/fuels/octane2.pdf
http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/fuels/octane3.pdf

Yesterday I mentioned I had never heard a propane engine knock. There is
good reason. In the chart of octane ratings by fuel, propane is near the
top of the list at 100 octane.

For shits and giggles I scanned the pages on cetane rating for the
diesel enthusiasts. Here are the links:
http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/fuels/cetane1.pdf
http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/fuels/cetane2.pdf
(sorry about the large file size- dunno why it did this)

Also I thought information on producer gas might be of interest. Here
are the scans of those pages:
http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/fuels/producer1.pdf
http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/fuels/producer2.pdf
http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/fuels/producer3.pdf