[SEL] Galloway Babbitt Pour

Richard Strobel Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com
Thu Sep 15 06:27:52 PDT 2005

<<<To hell with scraping. Add .005 shim and tighten it down.

In theory that should have worked and the job done.  Nope..I must have done
something wrong as adding .005 to the off side went great, but the on side I
actually had to remove about .005.,,.........hmmm, oh well.

So now I installed the crank gear, lots of heat on that baby sure helped
installation, and the gov. slider and now comes the challenge of getting the
flywheels on. Cleaned them up well and still a tight fit, out will come the
puller/pusher today.  I hate beating them on.  They were a bear to remove!!

  I ordered a piston ring from Dave Reed yesterday as I broke one..won't go
there :-((

 btw., the brass screws in the M/B caps were easy to backoff and makes for
easier scraping <vbg>

  I was never comfortable with heating the parent metal, in this case the
M/B cap.  I figgered that there should be an easier way w/o using the IR
temp gun.  So I came up with this:

  Put just a small sliver of babbitt on the cap..not where you're going to
pour.  Heat the cap and watch the sliver carefully..you should be able to
tell when it starts to melt.  Remove the heat and do the pour and pray the
dams hold.  Oh yea..it helps also to install the grease hole
plug....aaarrrghhh..ha, ha.

Well enuf blabber for now.

later
RickinMt.