[SEL] Lister Engines

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 05:00:20 PDT 2005

On 9/10/05, Andy <rustyiron at bigpond.com> wrote:
> Hi Peter, Some more questions for you, if you can? "Engine Spec No Info" "
> Lister A Information " There is no listing for a A30 Spec engine or a 30H,
> but at the bottom in Notes it states "Industrial Engines from Spec A26 and
> A66 onwards have the Fuel Tank attached by straps to the crankcase and have
> Heavy Flywheels" which is correct with this engine. Listed further down "
> Engine Rotation is anti-clockwise as standard, viewed with the magneto on
> the right. The letter C is stamped on clockwise rotation engine plates". Do
> you think this applies to the engine I have?

Yes, that seems quite a reasonable assumption.

> Also as I've only a photo copy
> of a photo copy manual, on your manual, the governor linkage, is it on the
> Magneto side or Fuel tank side, and the Oiler tube for the Crankshaft, does
> it have a flip type lid?

I'm at work today and tomorrow, but I'll have look tonight when we get home.

> I'll check again tomorrow and see what the valve
> timing looks like rotating the Flywheel the other way (Clockwise) but I'm
> sure it wasn't right going Clockwise it had to rotate Anti-clockwise.

The inlet and exhaust sequence will be obviously wrong one way or the
other, ie exhaust valve operation / compression / inlet valve
operation....

> Thanks again Peter, I'm very happy that it's an A type, as I've always
> classed this as a Queensland Engine, because when finishing a sentence we
> always add A.
> See ya..

There is a very large Lister internal book/publication called the
'Number Changes Book', which lists ALL the changes made to the engines
over the years, and gives part numbers for those components that
changed or were modified during the period. My copy covers the petrol
and diesel engines up to the 1950's, but doesn't go back to the early
J, M, N, P and
R engines.

I have a copy of that book and will check tonight and see what it says
about Spec30HC.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes