[SEL] (OT) Help to identify

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Thu Sep 8 19:51:19 PDT 2005

Hard to tell for sure without seeing a picture, but feel 98% sure that what
you have is what was referred to around here as a bean sorter.  My uncle
used to have an old one that we played with as kids.  Although it has been
quite a few years, as I remember the canvas belt was 6" to 8" wide and 18"
to 24" long.   As I remember it, on each side of the belt was an area 1-1/2
" wide  and approximately a foot long with a wood bottom that sloped to the
middle.  The wheel that the foot pedal attached to on the canvas roller was
a cast iron wheel an inch or so wide and 8 or 9 inches diameter.  It was
used to sort white edible navy beans.  The hopper would be filled with
beans and the canvas would bring them out one layer deep.  As you moved the
canvas you would sort the discolored or moldy beans and either roll or drop
them into the 2 side hoppers.  The good beans would then roll off the belt
and down the chute into a container.  I remember seeing pictures in our
local newspaper during their centennial showing a picture of our local
elevator with a room of 60 to 80 women, each sitting at one of these
machines.  They were located in a second floor room so that as the beans
were processed they would flow by gravity into containers on the first floor.

According to some of the older people around, these were replaced 50 some
years ago by electric eye machines, which I mentioned in a post on water
and air lines on the ATIS list a few weeks ago.   I hope this has been of
help.  If I can be of any further help, e-mail me and I will try and jog my
memory.

Greg Hass
Bad Axe, MI

PS:	If I am correct about this machine, one of the reasons you may have
trouble finding information was that at that time navy beans in the US were
basically only grown in a 5 county area of Michigan, and thus the equipment
used was very localized.  In fact a town 10 miles north of me was for many
years considerd the bean capital of the world.  There are now several
states that grow navy beans.