[SEL] Heat Treating Metal

John Hammink jg.hammink at quicknet.nl
Tue Sep 6 22:30:54 PDT 2005

Hi Tommy,
I use C45 steel for all the parts that need to be hardened.
It's good to machine in the lathe at around 500 rpm and
a new insert. The man I bought it from told me how to hard
it. You take a bucket with 2 gallons of water, a firm hand of
household salt in the water and spray some machine oil on
the surface to get a film over it. Heat the part cherry red and
STIR it in the bucket to almost handwarm.
It sounds simple but it works for me, don't know the code
C45 is the same for the States.
Hope it's of any help for you.

Regards,
John Hammink