[SEL] Frairbanks Morse ZD Crack Repair Status

FRM8198 at aol.com FRM8198 at aol.com
Mon Sep 5 20:42:58 PDT 2005

Hi List,
The information supplied by several list members was very helpful  in
repairing the crack in my Fairbanks Morse ZD.  The crack was grounded  out with a
grinder.  I surprised to find that the crack was wider in the  deep part of joint
than on the surface.  I cleaned the joint with  acetone and dried it with my
propane torch.  The JB Weld was applied  forcing the material into the joint.
Tomorrow, after the JB Weld cures, I  will smooth the patched area with the
disc sander.
While cleaning out rust residue from the hopper, I found the area  where the
head matches the water port on the hopper was very  corroded.  Again, I
cleaned the area with the rotary wire brush and file,  mixed another batch of JB
Weld, and applied it.  After it dries, I will use  a flat file to ensure that I
have a good mating surface with no water  leaks.
The biggest surprise was when I was cleaning out the rust residue  from the
head, I was able to punch a hole with my finger on the top  side of the head in
the area of the water port.  The rust action had  actually corroded most of
the material in this area.  I haven't started to  work on solving this problem
yet.  I know that I am going to have to get  the head "glass beaded" before I
can proceed.  Glass beading is  required as it almost impossible to get into
this corroded  area with a rotary wire brush and file in order to clean  it.

Francis  Maciel
Santa Maria, CA