[SEL] Fairbanks Morse ZD Cracked Block - Best Way to Repair

FRM8198 at aol.com FRM8198 at aol.com
Sun Sep 4 19:57:50 PDT 2005

In a message dated 9/4/2005 7:32:53 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
billalan at busynet.net writes:

My dad  and I also repaired a crack with JB weld, it was on the hopper of
a  P&O badged Nelson.  The previous owner had soldered it closed, and  the
first time we put water in the hopper, it all leaked out the crack we
did not even know existed.  We had just pulled out the solder,  cleaned
up the crack with some wire brushes and emery cloth, and finished  off
cleaning up with some alchohol.  We didn't do any grinding, just  pushed
the JB as far into the crack as we could.  This has held for a  couple of
years now, with no problems.

Thanks for the information.  I am leaning towards using JB  Weld.  However, I
have a neighbor that works in a machine shop and he  suggested that I pin the
crack.  Apparently, there is a process using  overlapping tapered pins along
with a matching drill to seal cracks where it  isn't possible to weld the
crack.  I have repaired cracks in automobile  heads using tapered overlapping cast
iron threaded plugs.

Francis  Maciel
Santa Maria, CA