[SEL] OT: Fuel taxes

Peter Scales peter at loud-n-clear.net
Thu Sep 1 20:47:55 PDT 2005

In message <410-22005941232015625 at coastalnet.com>, Ken Christison
<christison at coastalnet.com> writes
>I think there is a misconception in the amount of tax we
>pay on our fuel here in the USA.  To begin with, the tax
>is per gallon,. and not a percentage.  Here is a page with
>the tax info for each state:
>http://www.gaspricewatch.com/usgastaxes.asp

I see that the highest gas tax is 32.1 cents per gallon in Wisconsin.
That, coupled with the 18.4 cents per gallon Federal tax gives 50.5
cents per gallon.  With US gas prices now around $3.00 a gallon, this
means that as a percentage, in the most highly taxed State, you are
paying 16.7% tax.  This falls to 10% if you live in Georgia (with only
7.5 cents per gallon State tax).

It still looks good when compared to the UK price of $6.73 a gallon
(exchange rate of 1.83 USD to 1 GBP, 1 UK gallon = 1.1 US gallon and
fuel price of 0.90 GBP per litre used in calculation).  The tax on that
$6.73 is 55.8%, or $3.75, in gasoline duty and 17.5%, or $1.18, in sales
tax.  A total of 73.3%, or $4.93, a (US) gallon in taxes.

According to figures published by the AA (Automobile Association) the UK
has the fifth highest gas prices in Europe - the Netherlands pays $7.48
a gallon... http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/fuel/

Regards

      Pete
--