[SEL] OT: Fuel taxes

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Thu Sep 1 17:14:06 PDT 2005

Gene,

You're right that some states charge a sales tax.  However, in many
cases (if possibly not all but I'm not sure) the sales tax is capped.
For example, here in KY the tax is based on 9% tax on wholesale based on
a minimum price of $1.11.  However, in the info Ken provided it doesn't
mention that the $1.11 is also the maximum price used to calculate the
gas tax.  Our gas tax has been the same since 1986.  I sat on a
commission a few years ago that studied a legal challenge that was
pending regarding KY's gas tax.  I learned a lot about how the tax in KY
and other states is calculated.  No two are exactly alike.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY