[SEL] Diesel Engine Starter With Oil Pump, turbo accumulator

MaytagTwin at aol.com MaytagTwin at aol.com
Fri Oct 28 09:53:53 PDT 2005

Hi Rick,

We have a Winnebago w/Renault 2 liter turbodiesel that has an accumulator.
It looks to be about 1 1/2 quarts in size, is cylindrical and hangs on the
firewall with an oil line coming up from the turbo bearing area into the bottom of
the accumulator.  I think, since the accumulator is closed except for the
bottom intake, oil is pushed into it by the oil pump pressure and stays there
(more or less depending on engine speed and oil pressure) until you shut down the
engine, whereupon the remaining oil in the accumulator, a quart or so, flows
back through the turbo bearing, cooling it.  Because the accumulator is an
after-market item and it takes some of the oil from the lubrication system, I
always ran an extra quart of oil in the engine so there would be plenty in the
crankcase at all times.

As an aside, I thought I had the Winnie sold yesterday until when we tried to
start it we found a leaking seal on the front of the injection pump.  I have
a spare engine with pump, but don't care to install it.  The potential buyer
wants to think about it little while and may come back for it, but, in the
meantime, I am open for offers.  If anyone has an interest in an 84 Winnebago with
(stationary engine at the moment) turbodiesel, leaking roof, small (sleeps
four) light (6000 LB) and good mileage (22-25) and comes with spare parts
including transaxle and most of another engine, take it off list and contact me at
maytagtwin at aol.com.  Even unreasonable offers are considered.

On the topic of starting diesel engines that have long been parked:  Ye
sterday we started two Datsun pickups, one of which had not been started in 17
years, the other 12 years.  Then, we started a Mercedes diesel which had been
sitting 7 years.  All had been running when parked.  With all, using a mix of motor
oil and gasoline, and, towing in gear did the trick.  After a few minutes of
running, the smoke cleared and the engines ran smoothly.  I am now even more
impressed with the durability of these little diesel engines.  These vehicles
will all have new homes.

Regards,
Ron Carroll
Nokesville, Virginia, home of the rapidly depleting stock of diesel vehicles

In a message dated 10/28/2005 10:31:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time,