[SEL] Diesel Engine Starter With Oil Pump

FRM8198 at aol.com FRM8198 at aol.com
Thu Oct 27 19:52:50 PDT 2005

In a message dated 10/27/2005 7:11:04 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com writes:

On the  neighbors  old Cat12 grader with the pony engine..one starts up the
pony first (the pony exhaust heats up the main intake manifold) then  engage
the pony, bend your neck around to see if the oil pressure is up  and then
release the compression release.  Me thinks it's just a good  idea to have
the pressure up.

Rick,
That is the way I remember starting the D4 on the ranch many years  (50) ago.
 However, the compression release mode is new to  me.  Does this compression
release cycle come into play when the  throttle rack is closed?  All I
recollect is opening the throttle (fuel)  rack when the oil pressure was up to start
the diesel.  Once the  diesel was started, the pony engine was shut down by
turning its  fuel supply valve off as my Dad didn't like to leave gasoline in
carburetor.  To shut down the diesel, all that had to be done was to close  the
throttle rack which had a locking pin.
There was a company in Oregon (1950's era) that sold a  pre-pressurized oil
system for automobiles.  I believe it had a spring  loaded accumulator that was
hooked up to the engine oil system with a check  valve.  Thus, accumulator
could be pressurized with the engine oil and not  leak down.  In parallel with
this check valve was an  electrical  solenoid operated valve.  This solenoid
valve was activated when the  starter was energized and this action would
pressurize the engine's oil system  when starting the engine.  I don't know what
happened to this company.

Francis  Maciel
Santa Maria, CA