[SEL] Fairbanks Morse

David DeWitt tilinghast at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 26 15:22:33 PDT 2005

Ray,
  I had a similar problem with a 5hp Economy and it turned out the check ball in the fuel line was sticking.
   Dave.

Ray Freeman Portable Line Boring <plb at iinet.net.au> wrote:
I been working tonight on a 6 HP Fairbanks Morse Z. It had a problem with
blowing head gaskets and we have machined the block face and the head. The
head went back on tonight and that part of the restoration is OK. The
problem is that it runs but only barely. It seems to be a fuel problem. It
will only run by choking by covering the intake with a hand. The mixer
gasket is sealing. The compensator appeared to have to weak a spring so we
stiffened that with slight improvement. It does not fire regularly and is
running far to rich and if the mixture is leaned off it will not run at all.
Any help to sort this out will be appreciated.
Ray Freeman