[SEL] I got me one o' them thar LB enjuns! Now I got questions.

chesnimnus at juno.com chesnimnus at juno.com
Mon Oct 24 21:24:24 PDT 2005

It is a McCormick LBA to be specific.  (I do not just remember, but I believe it is a 2 horse unit.)  I got it in Colton, Oregon.  It is all there except for the hopper lid (typical), and the fuel tank and bottom rails (it looks like they were never there to begin with), and the valve cover.  It did not come with the air cleaner, which was an unusual option I understand.  It does not have a sheave, but I will not worry about that until I know what it will drive.  It is a gas motor.  The bottom welch plug is rusted through.  I am going to work on it over the winter so it is ready for the Great Western Binder Bee in July in Brooks, Oregon.  I talked to my friend Carl Wiese who works at Binder Books, and he has an LB parts manual and a hopper lid waiting to be delivered to me at my next IH truck club meeting.  I also have a 6" x 8" oak plank, some old (1940s-vintage) rubber wheels that I may use to make a cart for it.

Questions I have:

Are there any other parts sources beside Hit 'N' Miss Enterprises and Binder Books?

Are there any other pieces of literature for it besides the little owner's manual?

Does anyone have a source for the welch (expansion) plugs made of stainless steel?  The smaller ones I have less of a problem finding, but the one big one (looks to be over 2" in diameter) may be a trick to find.  Or maybe someone knows that the ones that Hit 'N' Miss has are made of SS?  As long as I am doing this, I want to do it permanently.

Do the magneto caps offered new by Case/IH have the old round "IHC" logo, or the newer "IH" man-on-the-tractor logo?  If not, does anyone know if the ones that Hit 'N' Miss sells have the older or the newer logo?

Who is it that makes the adaptor that lets you use modern spark plugs in the head?

Does anyone know if Pertronix makes a solid-state kit to replace the points in the mag?

Can anyone think of a good older steel container that would make a good fuel tank?  I am thinking of mounting the tank next to the motor, instead of purchasing a replacement tank and rails, but only if it 'looks right'.  Otherwise, I will try to find an original tank and rails.

Does anyone have a spare air cleaner?  This is the vertical Donaldson unit with the oil bath.  Not critical, but it would be nice.

What decals should it have?  I know there is the McCormick one on the hopper, and the metal ID tag (which I have), but I do not know what else is supposed to be on it.  Anyone know?

Does anyone have any suggestions for things to drive with it?  I know where a corn sheller and a mill are, and also an old water pump, but I was hoping to find something more useful than the sheller, or more unusual than the pump.  This is just going to be a toy to play with more than anything.

Thanks for any info you can offer.
-Colin Rush