[SEL] Muncie engine

jbcast at charter.net jbcast at charter.net
Fri Oct 14 04:14:51 PDT 2005

>   The starting air valves are different, but it's just nice to know that I
> don't have to rack my brain for the "bar over."

On the 100hp Buckeye, there's s ball valve for starting, goes to a check valve and into the top of the cylinder. You have to bar the engine to just past top center, a stripe on the flywheel indicates this spot. You have to time the air blast by watching the stripe come up, easy to get the hang of it. I did some work on the fuel injection, there's a relief valve that dumps the fuel at the end of the stroke. The governor slides a wedge in and out between the valve and the rod. This allows injection to start at tdc every time, when compression is max, cutting off the fuel at the end to limit speed. When the governor is working right the engine runs clean. There's a manual lever that limits the injection, delays the start of injection. When speed is limited this way, lots of white smoke, incomplete combustion.
J.B. Castagnos