[SEL] Off Topic - What is this?

David Everett deverett2003 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 10 05:38:53 PDT 2005

Luke

It looks like a modern Wimshurst Machine.  Turn the handle and static electricity is generated at
many thousands of volts.

They were originally made in the 19th century to demonstrate the effects of static electricity.
The ones I have seen before (at school) had 2 electrode handles/bars whereas this one appears to
have only one.

The physics teacher used to get the whole class in a line joining hands, the first and last boys
held onto one electrode each and he turned the handle.  Afer a few seconds the first boy was told
to release his grip on the electrode and there would be a loud 'crack' as the static jumped the
gap from electrode to the poor lad's hand as he let go and leapt about 4ft in the air with the
shock (surprise)!

This one seems to have some sort of keying device by the plastic bag.  Maybe that is so the spark
is generated between those contacts and not the human ones.  A modern anti-injury claim device?

Regards

Dave
Saudi-Arabia-On-Sea