[SEL] Various answers -see message body!

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Fri Oct 7 01:55:28 PDT 2005

Answering the following:
Re:Mystery Engine (British) (John Hammink)
Re:Interesting old advert....smoke stack? (peter ogborne)
Re: Mystery Engine (British) (Dave Rotigel)
Re: WaHooo/ now buzz saw safety

Hello The List,
	I've got a few things to answer here so am just going to do it all in 1 post.

a) John Hammink  wrote :
"Hi Jerry,
>Since you used my picture of the uniporn,"

Hi John,
	I had no idea that it was your picture but you have it wrong - that was
not my website that I sent the link to - it was "Sandstone Estates". I will
never steal a picture for my site. If I needed one I would ask and give due
credit. In fact I cannot think of one photo on my site that I have not
taken myself. You have helped me a lot with info in the past and I have
always written to thank you.
	I probably caused the confusion by saying that "I put up the webpage for
them" - I was referring to their "Stationary Engine Inventory" page - not
the whole website.
	Don't worry - I think it was a misunderstanding and I am not in the least
upset - just need to clear it up. As soon as I have finished this post I
will send one to the "Big Chief" at Sandstone and point out the "error of
their ways" to him. It will be sorted out.
	On the same subject - I have been approached by Sandstone (The same "Big
Chief") and asked if I would like to take over as Webmaster for the Tractor
and Stationary Engine part of their website (which is why I was spending
time on it yesterday). I expect a call tomorrow to set up a meeting. Keep
your fingers crossed - I would love to do this. Also, if I do accept then
there will be no pilfering of pictures on the site. They are actually very
good people and I think that this was probably done without bad intention.
Probably just a case of not understanding "Internet Etiquette". I will set
the record straight for you.
	(Where did the picture come from ? - The URL will help me when I speak to
them)
Best Regards
Jerry

b) Dave Rotigel wrote:
>WOW! That's not very nice--at least w/out proper credit!
>         dave

Hi Dave,
	Already answered above.
Best regards
Jerry
P.S. I never heard if you enjoyed the last link I posted for you ;-)

c) Peter Ogborne wrote:

>Jerry.........something I have often wondered about is why do old time US
>loco's have that distinctive smoke stack ? Is it that they burnt wood or is
>there another reason ?

Hi Peter,
	I know nothing about steam but it is strange that I have also always
wondered about that. I always thought that it was just something that
looked better in the "Cowboy & Indian" movies or the cartoons. A train
"puffing" through a canyon on it's way to an ambush would just not be the
same if it had a "chimney" like our South African or your Aussie trains. (VBG)
Best wishes
Jerry

This next answer is about Rick's sawblade appearing to cut into it's chassis:
"Galloway sawblade clearance"

Rick wrote:
"No Dave that was just a photo fluke that I can't explain."
&
Tom, I doubt if I'll ever know what happened there..not a double exposure
as I checked my camera and it's on auto.  I got down and looked up at the
same angle yesterday and there is quite a reflection in that part of the
blade.
Dunno, but it's kewl
Take Care, Rick

	Rick has that blade got "cooling slots" cut into it. I'm not sure what you
people call them but these are slots cut from the "gullet" of the teeth
inwards for an inch or two (depending on the diameter of the blade) and
often ending with a circular hole. ( I know this is not the best
description but hope you understand what I mean). There could be 8 or 10 of
these - again depending on the diameter.
	If you used ambient light for the pic your shutter speed may have been
quite slow. I'm wondering if the effect was not caused by this. I'm going
to battle to explain my theory in writing so just bear with me - it may
take a while.
	With a slow shutter speed and the spinning blade it is possible that the
camera also caught some of the image that was behind the blade, but visible
through the cooling slots as they sped past. (Wow this is difficult to
explain). This could also account for the fact that the steel beam appears
to be "grey" or "burnt" where the blade has appeared to cut into it -
because it has received less exposure than the rest - it only exposed each
time a cooling slot let light past. If you look at the circumference of the
blade you will see a blurred image as the teeth are creating the same
effect but because there are more of them (or gaps between them) they are
not as under exposed. Does this make any sense to any of you - I know what
I mean but not how to explain it :-). ( To answer another question from the
list - No I was never a teacher - not in this life or any other :-)) but in
my next life I intend being a cat in a home like mine. ( You gotta love
cats to understand that one),
	The lack of shadows as well as the good illumination of the underside of
the engine and transporter in the pic points to a flash being used so this
would make my theory even more difficult to explain as an electronic flash
should freeze most motion (unless your Galloway runs really fast ;-)) . You
also mention a lot of reflections in that area which may (or may not)
account for the fact that this only is visible in that area.
	To try to explain my theory better I have put a pic of the engine on my
site (sorry Rick - I never asked permission but only this letter will link
to it) - check it out.

<http://www.oldengine.org/members/evans/rickseng.jpg>

	Whatever the answer I do agree with you - it is a KEWL pic - gets the old
brain cells working overtime.
Keep well
Jerry in S.A.

P.S. For those of you who love cats - you gotta see this pic.
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/evans/cats.jpg>

Best regards
Jerry Evans.
Databak Hard Drive Data Recovery

Databak Hard Drive Data Recovery   ----- The lower cost Data Recovery
Alternative !
We recover your LOST DATA resulting from Hard Drive Failure / Virus attack
/ Accidental or Malicious Deletion of files, Reformatting or Partition Loss
(FDISK).
We also retrieve lost passwords for most popular programmes.
Visit our site:
http://www.databak.co.za
Tel: (016)365-5787 and 083 293 7191
Tel. Intntl.: +27(16)365-5787
eMail: jerrye at cyberserv.co.za
Snail Mail: P.O.Box 521, Randvaal. 1873. Republic of South Africa

---