[SEL] 12 volt 2000 lbs winch

FRM8198 at aol.com FRM8198 at aol.com
Mon Oct 3 20:00:12 PDT 2005

In a message dated 10/2/2005 9:49:00 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
bee_keeper at earthlink.net writes:

well,  unfortunately it's not that simple.  what I want to build is kind  of
hard to describe but it's a boom that would mount on my trailer about  12'
long that works like a trolley with an electric winch to pick up bee  hives &
position them on the trailer.

Lew,
I have seen a similar setup to handle bee hives mounted on  trucks.  However,
I don't recollect if these units had electric hoists  and boom trolley
drives.  The boom was made from an "I" beam with a  trolley that rolled back and
forth.  The mast that held the boom was a  heavy and a large diameter piece of
pipe and was allowed to rotate.   The boom mast was also guy wired.  The long
boom with a load puts a large  bending force at the top of the mast which is
transmitted to the base.
Have you considered using a 12 volt starter motor for the boom  trolley?  I
have seen starter motor used to drive rotary  type fuel pumps.

Francis  Maciel
Santa Maria, CA