[SEL] Vertical Shaft Engine?

John Culp johnculp at chartertn.net
Thu Nov 24 15:24:44 PST 2005

While reading one of Leroy's posts about building models just now,
something he said got me thinking (which is always dangerous.) He
mentioned something about planning to build an inverted horizontal
engine, which got me wondering what he meant, because it seems that an
inverted horizontal engine is still a horizontal engine. (I'm thinking
he meant an inverted vertical engine.) But then I got to thinking about
a horizontal one rolled over 90 degrees, with the cylinder horizontal
and the crankshaft vertical. The flywheels would rotate in the
horizontal plane. Like a vertical shaft lawnmower engine. Were any old
stationary engines built on that pattern?

John Culp
Bristol, Tennessee, USA