[SEL] Reaming valve stem tower

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Tue Nov 22 10:18:43 PST 2005

Rick,
I just went out and surfed your New Way pictures again and see that the
exhaust valve is directly under the intake valve. Understand I haven't
fixed up Missy's New Way yet so I have no New Way experience to draw on.
But the Baker Monitor is configured similarly, just reversed. On the BM
the exhaust valve cage comes out and the intake is built into the head.
My point is that when they were building your engine they likely
machined the intake valve cage fit, reamed the exhaust valve stem, and
cut the exhaust valve seat all in one set up. Therefore, to keep
everything on center and aligned,  how about making a guide that fits in
the intake cage cavity that will precisely guide the reamer you will be
using to clean up the exhaust guide.
When I did Devin's engine I made a guide of brass that had a 45° taper
on one end that wedged into the valve seat. The OD was also made to
square up perfectly in the valve cage bore. I turned and reamed the
brass guide in one setup so everything was dead concentric. I reamed the
brass guide to assure a barely slip fit on the shank of the reamers.
This kept the reamers running true. I had to open the guide up in 3
steps with reamers to get 100% cleanup. All in all it took .062 increase
in size. So what were 5/16" shanks on the valves are now 3/8".
Here is a picture of the fixture to guide the reamer:
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/DevinsBakerMonitorRebuild/Intake2.jpg>
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/DevinsBakerMonitorRebuild/Intake5.jpg>
and in use:
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/DevinsBakerMonitorRebuild/Intake1.jpg>

It would be a bad day to ream the guide in an unguided condition only to
find out that the stem is no where near centered on the valve seat
anymore. That could mean removing huge amount of material to bring the
seat back in alignment with the stem bore.

I found I spend way more time making the tools to do the repairs than on
anything else. But the end result is well worth the trouble when you
have a purring engine to listen to.
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC