[SEL] Big FBM vertical started with Steam compressor

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Tue Nov 15 08:11:46 PST 2005

We've got an air start FM diesel at Waukee as part of the permanent engine
display.
A bar is used to turn the engine over via flywheel to a certain point
while the air pressure is built up in the tank. A valve is opened and the
air cranks the engine over to start it.

Pretty cool. Has a Woodward governor on the "front" end. Takes a bit of
muscle to get the engine lined up for the air charge and if you miss, you
go around again........

Bill