[SEL] FMB two lunger vertical....semi-diesel, I believe

jbcast at charter.net jbcast at charter.net
Sat Nov 12 08:06:49 PST 2005

>    I believe this is a semi-diesel, two stroke, ports, no valves and like
> some two lungers one cylinder is used for starting (the other) on compressed
> air.  I believe I have read where too much priming fuel can cause a runaway,
> and this may be his concern.  There is evidence of a hot tube/bulb.
>
>   I do know he needs some large air tanks and a healthy compressor and will
> try to help him out there.
The most common mistake on the two cycle Diesels that used crankcase pressure to charge the cylinder was adding oil to the crankcase. These crankcases had to be dry, it will pick up splashed lube oil and run away on that, no stopping it by  shutting fuel off. The first rule of running any engine is to know how to stop it. It was common practice to keep a sledge by the FM Y's to break the crankcase covers, eliminating cylinder charge air and stopping the engine. A tight fitting gate on the intake would work, like a Detroit emergency stop. A lever to hold the intake flapper valve open would also work.
J.B. Castagnos