[SEL] Oilers

Luke Tonneberger flywheelin at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 3 08:29:19 PST 2005

Tom,

The cylinder oiler should be set to drip one drop per minute per horsepower.
So, for a 5hp engine it should drip once every 12 seconds. You'll find that
this is probably too fast of a rate. This is for a working engine. For an
engine loafing along at a show you can decrease this amount quite a bit.
Joe's suggestion is about right. A drop every 15 seconds or so. It's not
real critical. If oil is puking out the back and flinging all over the place
then it is too much. If your piston and cylinder look dry while the engine
is running then it is not enough.

I will stop my engines every two or three hours and turn the grease cup on
the connecting rod. I turn it enough so I can just see it starting to ooze
out the sides. More is better I feel. I have a little plastic stick that I
use to fill the grease cups. I usually will scrape the used excess grease
from the sides of the bearings with my plastic stick and apply it to my
gears.

Luke Tonneberger
Rockford, Michigan
USA