[SEL] Early Galloway trucks re-visited..possibly some new light

Rick Rowlands jrrowlands at neo.rr.com
Thu Nov 3 02:38:40 PST 2005

Jones and Lauthlin was an integrated steel maker with plants in Pittsburgh &
Aliquippa, PA and Cleveland, Ohio.  They did have a side business of making
lineshafting and wheels etc. but it was miniscule compared to their main
product line which includes steel angles, channels, sheets, plates and
seamless pipe.  The building which we rent for storage has Jones and
Laughlin rolled into the angles in its framework and it was built in 1916.
Jones and Laughlins spelled with the S is much older.  According to my
information the S was dropped from the name in 1902 when the company was
reorganized.  So probably the last steel with the S in the name was rolled
in 02 or 03 when the worn out rolls were changed out.

An interesting bit of trivia is that your steel would most certainly have
been rolled on a mill powered by engines very similar to our Tod Engine.

Illinois stands for Illinois Steel Company which became Carnegie Illinois
Steel and eventually part of United States Steel. It would have been rolled
in a mill in the Chicago District but I have seen products rolled in the 40s
still labeled Carnegie Illinois so thats impossible to date.

It is more plausible that Galloway cast their own wheels and purchased steel
from J&L instead of J&L building the carts.

One of my interests is collecting steel sections with names rolled into it.
I have tons of pipe with "Youngstown" rolled into it as well as Bethlehem,
J&L, US Steel etc.  I think the rarest is the name "Pencoyd" rolled into a
small I beam.  Nothing like good old American made steel!   Even have a
slice cut from the first railroad rail rolled in Youngstown at Republic
Steel in 1905.  That mill was powered by a Tod engine and I have a copy of
the contract between William Tod Co. and Republic to build the engine.

Rick Rowlands
Tod Engine Foundation
2261 Hubbard Road
Youngstown, OH  44505
330-728-2799
www.todengine.org

William Tod Co. 34" x 68" x 60" Cross Compound Rolling Mill Engine
Historic Mechanical and Materials Engineering Landmark