[SEL] Blackstone flywheel removal.

Richard Strobel Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com
Thu May 26 06:28:15 PDT 2005

Well Ron, for what it's worth,,here goes on how I got the Gals flywheels
off.

I drilled, tapped, slide hamered the whole routine..nothing, zipppo.

The crank throw has a nice flat area for a puller to rest on, so I tried to
pull the flywheel on just a little bit

 more.  Both the flywheel and key moved just a perverbial hair, so I
reversed the puller and installed so I could

pull off the flywheel.  Both the flywheel and key moved together and I was
keeping a very close eye out for one to

move and not the other.  After several hours and quite a bit of sweat, I had
one off.  The other one did the same

thing, both with no ill effects.  And that ~3" key had a .020 taper.

  Oh I just remembered, I had a heat gun on the hub all the time and it
seemed to help.  Stayed away from Rosebud.

  We have no way of knowing if your keys are tapered, but common sense would
suggest they are...definetly a

different arrangement than what we're used to seeing.  I always wanted to
try dry ice on the cs and heat on the

hub, but never have.

   If it were mine, I'd have the cs all polished up,  apply our favorite
panther pi$$ over and over and put it thru many heat cycles....again not
using Rosebud.

  Can't think of anything else.

Good Luck
RickinMt.