[SEL] Distasterous news for the historical machinery movement in Australia!!!

peter ogborne jopeter at omninet.net.au
Thu May 12 00:42:13 PDT 2005

This morning in the "West Australian News Paper '' there is a story that
could spell the finish of the Historical Machinery movement in Australia.
Smorgon Steel are doubling the price of scrap steel . It is estimated by
Smorgon that there is 1.5 million tonnes of scrap steel on Australian farms
. This is made up of  quote, Smorgon Steel ''Old tractors,trucks
,harvesters,tanks,fencing ,windmills and engines, this will be a tidy earner
for farmers ''Smorgon are big noting themselves by offering $15 to Fire
Brigades for every tonne collected.
York farmer Stephen Penny has given the scheme the thumbs up '' I reckon i
have quite a few tonnes of old harvesting and seeding gear lying around''.
Of course all this is going to Bloody China................what can we do
BTW on the front page of the paper there is a picture with the
story....shows a farmer standing on an old ,no doubt something some restorer
would give a right arm for ...an old Bedford Truck ....what else is out
there ?