[SEL] Generator hookup

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Tue May 10 14:25:45 PDT 2005

On 5/10/05, Richard Strobel <Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com> wrote:
>  Howdy all with Elden on the side.
>
>    Need some help getting this ole girl excited :-)
>
>   Generator rated at 250 VDC @ 16 amps.
>
>   If you can't read the legend on the pix. it's as follows:
>
>   A is connected to the 4 brushes
>
>   B is connected to one of the field coil winding
>
>   C looks like it's connected to the other winding in the field coil.
>
>   Pix at:
>
> http://community.webshots.com/photo/291395326/342708600ebaRxX
>
>  Tanks much!!
>
>  RickinMt.

Looks a bit odd!

The four brushes should be equally spaced around the commutator, or
you have four missing from the bottom positions.

One set of brushes would be positive and the opposite set would be
negative, BUT it isn't as simple as that, as you have to have opposite
brushes with opposite polarities, UNLESS you have a complex wave-wound
rotor, which I doubt. It's an 8-pole machine, so I think there is more
to it than meets they eye.

The output from the brushes is fed into the field coils via the
regulating resistor or hand control. So, you have to sort out first
what other brushes should be present.

I feel that there are parts missing here, so be careful what you are
doing with it until it is established how it SHOULD be connected.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com