[SEL] O.T. Need Computer Help - Not Me!!!!

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Tue May 10 14:18:40 PDT 2005

On 5/9/05, Paul Maples <paulmaples at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Thanks to those of you who are reading this O.T. message.
>
> My twin sister gave my younger sister an almost new HP3820 Deskjet Color Printer. She said she could not get it to work on her computer so I told her to bring it to me. I did not have a driver on my pc for it but downloaded one from the HP website and then checked out the printer on my pc and it worked great.
>
> I told her to come and get it and she did and she called me tonight and said it would not work on her computer so I loaded up and drove out to her house. The first thing I did was to uninstall the printer driver she had downloaded and re-install the printer driver from the HP website and it installed fine but when you went to print a test page it did nothing. Further troubleshooting revealed that the computer was not recognizing the LPT1 port which was where the printer was assigned to go.
>
> I went to "My Computer" right click on properties, went to device manager and discovered that there is no listing in the list for "ports", nothing, no Com Port or LPT1. The USB hub is listed and active but there is no "Ports" listed.
>
> Can someone tell me if there is anything I can do to get the computer to list the "ports" in the device manager listing? If I can get the computer to recognize the "ports" I can probably get it to print.
>
> Thanks in advance for the help.
>
> Paul

Paul:

What OS are you using?

Try looking under START, SETTINGS, PRINTERS  then look at the
installed printer in detail. You select the port when the printer is
installed.  A USB printer is not normally a problem.

You can also go into START, SETTINGS, CONTROL PANEL and then look
under ADD / REMOVE  HARDWARE. You can troubleshoot from there.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com